We must bear in mind that education is a fundamental element in a person’s life, since it contributes to the economic and social development of humanity.
There are various factors that directly affect school performance, among them are the parents’ own situations, the family environment, motivation, the tools that the student has, among many others.
We’ll go over some of the ways you can help your child improve academic performance.
1. Attitude and behaviors of parents towards learning.
Believe it or not, reviewing the style of interaction you have with your child influences their school performance. If you consider that you are committed and that you participate in your child’s academic activities, it is possible that he will see in you the interest you have in his learning and his behavior, thus becoming an active father in education. This style promotes satisfactory school performance.
On the other hand, it is important that you review the level of expectations you have regarding your child’s academic performance.
Since being realistic about the abilities that he / she possesses allows you to set achievable goals according to their particularities. The foregoing influences both school success and the social adjustment of children and adolescents at school, favoring better learning opportunities.
Another factor to take into account is the level of active and manifest assessment of the abilities that your child has, as it is important that you trust the abilities that he / she has and also let them know.
At the same time, it is essential that you be aware of the aspects that must be strengthened. If there is an assessment of your child’s efforts and achievements, it is likely that he will be able to trust his own abilities; Similarly, if you identify the aspects that your child should strengthen, you will be able to support him with the school reinforcements he needs.
Registration is needed for everyone to access MyPascoConnect.
2. Motivate your child
Although we are used to the fact that motivation is limited to encouraging words and moments of behavior-reward or behavior-sanction. It is important that you bear in mind that your child may feel motivated by other circumstances, such as your company. Do not hesitate to be there for him / her as this can facilitate their learning contexts. Some other aspects that should not be neglected along with motivation are:
- Supervision of tasks – Share with your child as long as he or she needs it. Remember that although it is necessary that you give them autonomy at certain times, it is also essential that you fulfill an accompanying role in your child’s academic and pedagogical process. This will allow you to recognize their weaknesses and strengths and know how to develop new skills.
- Accompaniment at school – Sometimes children stay longer at school than at home and teachers are the ones who know how they behave in a broader social environment, what difficulties they have and, in many cases, they know the most efficient way to correct their problems. attitudinal and academic problems. That is why the recommendation is that you agree to a meeting with the teacher in charge of your child and plan a calendar with goals. So that the work, both yours and that of the teacher, is synchronized with specific goals , that go along the same support path.
- Talk to your child – The communication you establish with your child influences the support you can provide. If you keep an active listening, you can more easily identify their needs. If it is difficult for you to start a conversation with your child, we suggest you ask open questions in order to get more expression from him / her.
- Some questions could be: what new word did he learn, what did he like the most about school, what words did the teacher repeat a lot, what anecdotes his friends told him, where in school he was during the break, etc.
3. Evaluate the tools your child has when studying
On some occasions, tools that seem to be useful in the learning process turn out to be distracting, such is the case of the Internet. Check when it is appropriate for your child to use electronic aids. Monitor the times and teach him resources such as libraries, books, magazines, documentaries, among others, so that he does not depend on the Internet all the time and nourishes his study process with different tools.
4. Implement resources that support learning
A constant study method develops discipline and this, in turn, allows the strengthening of other skills. for example helps to improve concentration and organization. That is why it is important that you review what study method your child has and strengthen it with new learning strategies. In good study methods you should include:
- Techniques to prepare for exams. When your child takes tests, there are many factors that can go into getting a good result.
- A comprehensive study method – A method is used to appropriate academic content.